Electricity is reaching every part of the corner of this world. But taking care of it comes as a priority. You need to pay your electrical bills, install a meter, check the reading and beware of fuses. Many houses use a ‘multimeter’ to keep a check on the electricity being supplied to their homes. It is a device that is used to measure different electricity values which are – the amount of current, amount of voltage and the resistance. Usually, it is also known as a multitester with respect to its characteristics VOM, volt-ohm-milliammeter. Volt is the measuring unit for voltage, ohm is the measuring unit of resistance and milliammeter or ampere is the measurement unit of current.
But, basically, these multimeters are for the use of electrical technicians and engineers because different meters have been clubbed together into one. They do not have to carry different meters all around, they just need one. And this is the main importance of these meters. There are two types of multimeters – Digital, having an LCD display to give immediate readings which are accurate, and analog, in which the user has to move a bar on the scale of numbers and interpret the reading which comes. So, which of the meters available in the market is best suited for such professionals? Which are the best multimeter for electronics technician?
Here are the multimeters :
1. Fluke 87-V Digital Multimeter – It consists of an auto ranging system which is adjustable. Users are able to switch it on if they want to operate the readings manually. It has an analog bar graph that shows unstable signals and rapid changes in readings. Its capability is of measuring 10 amps to 20 amps of current within 30 seconds. And also, the biggest advantage of it is that the user is alerted if the jacks are unplugged. Though, it is on the expensive side.
2. Innova 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter – It is a digital multimeter and is also automotive. It calculates current, voltage, resistance with also the testing of breaker points, solenoids, wirings, alternate diodes, switches, and duty cycle. It has a feature of automatic shutoff, ranging and overload protection. There are temperature probes, RMP clamp and a carrying case which are also provided with it.
3. Amprobe AM-530 TRMS Electrical Contractor Multimeter – It is best for calculating RPM without fluctuations. After the circuit being measured reaches a continuity, a sounds off tone goes off indicating the user about the same. It has a battery of 9 volts and an in-built flashlight. It also measures capacitance and frequency.
4. Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter – It measures a current of 10 amps and voltage of 1000 volts. You can also switch to manual mode whenever you want to. It is best to test the temperature of the air conditioning system. It requires 2 batteries of AAA. And, it comes with a warranty of 1 year.
5. Fluke 116 HVAC Multimeter – It has an LED-backlit screen and an in-built thermometer. It measures frequency, continuity, resistance, and capacitance. It works on batteries and has a life of around 400 hours. It comes with a warranty of 3 years.
So, these are the best multimeters, to sum up.